November 9, 2010

Humboldt Skindivers Meeting Minutes

Minutes – November 9, 2010

ATTENDEES: President Ron Queen, Treasurer Stand-in Donna Queen, Secretary Stand-in Mary VanCott, Cliff VanCott, Charlie Notthoff, Brandi Easter, Donna White, Dave White, Frank Onstine and guest, Clyde Queen.

1. Call To Order: Meeting was called to order by President Ron at 7:10pm.

2. WELCOME: By President Ron.

3. NEWCOMER: Ron introduced our special guest, his dad Clyde.

4. MINUTES: Minutes from the meeting of October 12 were accepted by club members.

5. TREASURERS’ REPORT: Treasurer Julie submitted the Treasurer’s Report by email – the total is the same as last month ($1205.21) as reimbursements approved in October have not yet been paid.

6. OLD BUSINESS:

  • MLPA: Representatives Charlie & Brandi provided an update on the latest proposals on this important issue. Brandi said that the stakeholders came to an unprecedented unified proposal recently which will be presented in February. Charlie said they had hoped the Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) would accept because of the belief that Humboldt is different so perhaps outside of the guidelines – they’ll know more later. Discussion followed and more to be reported at future meetings. For details, contact Brandi or Charlie.
  • MEETINGS IN DECEMBER & JANUARY: Please note that the Humboldt Skindivers will not be meeting in December or January at Chan’s. [Note: Information relayed to Andy at November meeting.]
  • 2011 ELECTION OF NEW OFFICERS / ANNUAL POTLUCK: January 8 (5:00pm – ?) is the date for the Annual Potluck / Election of New Officers. This event will be at the VanCott’s home in McKinleyville. An email will be sent shortly before the date with a request for RSVP (as the club will be providing meat – sounds like Cliff is going to do his Famous BBQ Ribs – don’t miss this, carnivores! Don’t worry – tofu will also be available).  Motion passed to provide $100 to Cliff to purchase meat. BYOB (Bring Your Own Beverage).  And don’t forget to bring your old dive equipment for the raffle! All newly paid members will have a chance at getting something amazing.
  • For the election, open positions are President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary and Newsletter Sender. Please think seriously about contributing to the club by running (or re-running) for an office. If you’re interested in one of these positions, show up at the January potluck or, if you can’t make it, let Ron know you’re interested.
    …And a grateful thank you from Cliff & Mary to Charlie for his kind offer to help prepare for this event.
  • INCREASING CLUB MEMBERSHIP: Charlie will talk to Jennifer of Humboldt Surfriders to inquire about co-sponsoring Ocean Night at the Arcata Theater Lounge sometime. Frank will also look into it and report back. Other discussion included revisiting Public Service Announcements (PSAs), flyers/handouts at ProSports and Subsurface Progression. (To be included as an agenda item at meeting early next year)

7. NEW BUSINESS:

  • “TASTE OF THE HOLIDAYS” – not necessarily a dive event, but a member of the club is selling tickets. See Brandi for details. Event is November 18 and ticket sales benefit the Sunrise Rotary – Arcata.
  • AMIGA’S BURRITOS: This restaurant in Eureka (5th & E) has granted HSD permission to hang photos by divers starting November 27 at noon. If you have a photo you would like to hang up (doesn’t have to be dive- or water-related) but are unable to be there on Nov 27, contact Donna Queen who is happy to do it for you. No size limit. If the photo you’re hanging is for sale, let Donna know how much it costs.
  • EMAIL FROM CHET EDELINE: Abalone competition! He has one to compare with others for the 2010 record. Please bring your abalone shells to the potluck on January 8 for measuring.
  • MONTEREY DIVE IN 2011?: Charlie offered his family’s beautiful home for lodging if the club would like to schedule a dive in Monterey next year. If you’re interested in going, please email him with any BAD dates (when you can’t go) and he’ll put together a couple of potential good dates.

8. ANYONE GONE DIVING?: Nope.

9. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 p.m.

The next “meeting” will be the potluck and election of officers at Cliff & Mary’s home on January 8 from 5pm – ?. Watch for an email in early January for directions and potluck information. The next time we meet at Chan’s will be February 8, 2011.

Respectfully submitted in the absence of the regular club secretary,

Mary VanCott

Comments are closed.